Live Chasing!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 3, 2012 chase

This was definitely a surprise chase day for me. 

Synoptic environment:
A compact upper level low was spinning over NM by 12Z and the associated 500mb low was progged to move slowly NE throughout the day. 

A 60kt jet streak was located at the base of the 500mb low and was forecast to move over the N TX area during the early afternoon. 
Note the SW 55kt flow at DFW.

The upper level low moved N throughout the day and we actually had southerly 55 kt flow by 00Z. 

850mb flow was southerly and around 25-30 kts. 

At the surface, there was appreciable moisture with dewpoints in the upper 60's.  Winds were ESE at around 5-10 kts. 

There was a definite outflow boundary from previous night's convection in OK that was making it's way south.  Notice the easterly and northeasterly winds running roughly along a line from DFW area to Texarkana.  I noticed this in the morning and it was plain as day on vis satellite.  I didn't know at the time that this would help to contribute to the mini-tornado outbreak that I was to commence later in the afternoon.

A line of elevated storms had already developed along the dryline in western North Texas and was making a slow progression to the east.  I decided, after getting back from the doctor's office, that I would go out west and do a test run with the video stream.  Although there were some breaks in the cloud cover to the east of the line of storms, I didn't think that discrete convection would fire around the metroplex so I headed west to Weatherford.  I set up at a truck stop along I-20 and started streaming the rotating, yet elevated, storm that was moving into that area.  I messed around with that storm for about 15 minutes until I noticed a cell developing south of the metroplex and ahead of the main line.  I quickly jetted east on I-20 and by the time I had reached western parts of Fort Worth, the storm became tornado warned.  I figured that I would be able to intercept somewhere east of I-35 and eventually made my way into the strong winds and heavy rain of the FFD around the Kennedale area.  I knew that the meso had to be to my south because of the northerly winds.  When I got into the clearing in the bear's cage, I turned off onto Little Rd near the I-20/287 interchange.  As I made my way down the road I caught the first glimpse of the tornado.

I headed to the on ramp of 287 and stopped to set up.  The tornado was less than a mile to my SW and I was able to get out and make a quick judgement call that the tornado was going to move just to my south. 

What commenced was the best footage of my life:




The tornado passed 1/2 mile to my south and displayed varying shapes (cone/stovepipe, multi-vortex, no condensation funnel, ragged tube) as it moved to the northeast.  This is the first time that I have seen multiple vortices up close and personal.  Pretty interesting how it did that while on the highway.  I couldn't believe cars weren't bailing out of there.  I don't think some of them knew what was actually going on or didn't realize the situation until it was upon them.

The descending RFD was a pretty dramatic sight.  When you get this close you really lose sight of the massive wall cloud over your head.  After losing sight of the tornado, I quickly drove down to the place where the tornado crossed and turned around.  I snapped a few photos of the damage.


 The tornado continued into the Arlington area causing EF-2 damage.

I drove back to I-20 and headed east to see the tornado roping out. 


I was quite worried because my wife was working at a nursing home in the Euless/Bedford area and the meso was heading in her direction and still showing strong rotation.  After calling and warning her about the incoming storm, I headed east and then north to reposition on the storm.  I wasn't able to get another good vantage point of the base of the wall cloud, but I did get a few structure shots of the meso with a beautiful RFD cut. 



Called it a day to the east of DFW airport at around 2:00 pm.  This was the earliest that I had returned home from a successful intercept! 

Here are the storm reports for that day:

Radar image of supercell at approximate time of my footage:
Kennedale/Arlington Tornado
www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd





No comments:

Post a Comment